Venue: Online event
This skills-based course will equip you with the basics of prenatal genetic counselling and managing complex scenarios as well as an update on new technologies. You will also gain skills in taking a family history and assessing when a referral on to clinical genetics is indicated.
Upon completion, you will be able to:
- Recognise basic inheritance patterns
- Identify relevant family history and draw a family tree
- Demonstrate the knowledge and communication skills to obtain informed consent for genetic testing in a prenatal setting
- Compare types of genetic tests and recognise the situations that they might be used in
- Discuss tools and procedures used to diagnose genetic conditions during or following pregnancy
- Compare and contrast the role of different healthcare professionals in the prenatal setting
- Demonstrate the use of knowledge about genetic testing gained to discuss a patient’s pathway involving genetic testing in pregnancy
- Recognise the emotions that a patient undergoing genetic testing in a prenatal setting may experience and when further support might be needed
- Recall how to refer to clinical genetics services and what information is useful to include in the referral
This course is designed for midwives, sonographers or other healthcare professionals who wish to gain an introduction or update of prenatal genetics.
*This course will take place over six half day sessions
Find out more