PHE Screening has now published an updated version of the NHS Newborn and Infant Physical Examination (NIPE) Screening Programme clinical guidance handbook.
The new handbook includes updated information and clinical guidance to assist NIPE practitioners and the new standards will be implemented from April 2021.
Some of the changes include:
- further clarification of training requirements for NIPE practitioners, including university accreditation and guidance when student midwives undertake pre-registration NIPE training
- amended guidance for when the NIPE examination is declined
- clarification of the term ‘too ill for NIPE newborn screening’ and addition of a list of potential conditions to consider as mitigating reasons if the newborn screening is delayed
- updated guidance when transferring a baby between providers and the reminder of the failsafe processes that should be in place
- small changes to the screen positive criteria for hip screening (removal of skin creases)
- further reference to the evidence regarding management of babies with clicky hip (no follow up required), which supports the 2018 national hip screening consultation.